Wednesday, October 20, 2021

This Might Be My Favorite Tofu Recipe Yet

I'm not a regular eater, I'm a sustainable eater.
 ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ 
The Spruce Daily
Today On The Spruce
Crispy Tofu in a Thai-Inspired Peanut Sauce
Crispy Tofu in a Thai-Inspired Peanut Sauce
READ MORE
Lauryn Bodden,
Associate Food Editor
As soon as I feel a slight chill in the air, I know the New York City Wine & Food Festival is near. I'm not a typical food festival-goer, but this year felt particularly impelling after our almost 2-year hibernation from events involving more than 10 people. This past weekend, the city's restaurants, chefs, eaters, and streets let us know, "We're back, baby!"
 
Through all the bright lights and celebrations, the event that delighted me the most was a tasting of the next big meat alternative to launch in the United States: Tindle. Between taste and texture, I never tried a plant-based chicken alternative that I would readily swap for the real thing before biting into this product. I was fascinated to learn the company did not look to generally recreate chicken, but specifically chicken thighs or wings—arguably the most flavorful part of the bird.
 
Now, I am not vegetarian, vegan, pescatarian, or even slightly picky in the food I consume; however, I am sustainably-focused in my choices. I try my best to eat products that respect our ecosystem and natural resources, but that also deliver on flavor and nutrients. Did you know food production accounts for about one-quarter of the world's greenhouse gas emissions and takes up about half of the planet's habitable surface?
 
I think it's totally possible to be more conscious of your consumption habits without giving up meat entirely. One of my favorite brands, Seemore Meat & Veggies, produces sausages made of humanely raised chicken or pork and 35% vegetables. I really like the idea of reducing my meat consumption without fully giving up the craving. Think stews, stuffed sweet potatoes, a simple bun. Also among these changemakers are snack companies, which are responding to the global climate crisis by reducing their carbon footprint and in some cases, reversing it entirely. From upcycling to biodegradable packaging, every aspect matters.
 
Beyond (alternative) meats, some of my other recent obsessions include the entire menu at Japanese-Italian restaurant Kimika where our contributor Clarice Lam steers the pastry program, Jalapeño Ranch Water, Spudsy's Churro Sweet Potato Puffs, and Joy the Baker's Baking Mixes with Williams Sonoma (specifically, the Espresso Chocolate Sheet Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting).
Today On The Spruce
What to Make This Week
Seitan Fried Chicken Tenders
Seitan Fried "Chicken" Tenders
A deep-fried, incredibly tasty vegan version of chicken tenders.
Get the Recipe
Seitan & Roasted Veggie Tacos
Perfectly-seasoned with chipotle, cumin, and chili powder.
Get the Recipe
Spicy Vegan Pho
Spicy Vegan Pho
Sambal oelek gives this warming soup a spicy kick.
Get the Recipe
Crispy Chickpea Tacos
Spicy, crunchy, and on your table in less than 30 minutes.
Get the Recipe
Today On The Spruce
The Spruce Eats on YouTube
Vegan-Friendly Meal Prepping with Erika Kwee
Vegan-Friendly Meal Prepping with Erika Kwee
Watch & Learn
Spruce Eats Banner
Try Our Newest Recipes
Blackened Grilled Tofu
Japanese Agedashi Dofu
Sesame and Chili Marinated Tofu
Today On The Spruce

Did somebody forward you this email? Sign Up for The Spruce Eats Newsletter!

Have feedback? Send us an email at contact@thespruceeats.com, subject line: Newsletter Feedback.
The Spruce
Follow us:  
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to The Spruce Eats newsletter. Unsubscribe
© 2021 Dotdash.com — All rights reserved. Privacy Policy.
A DOTDASH BRAND 28 Liberty Street, 7th Floor, New York, NY, 10005

No comments:

Post a Comment