Saturday, October 30, 2021

Olive Oil Cake (and the Tale of My Broken-Fridge Cleanout)

Here, a horror story with a happy, delicious ending.
 ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ 
The Spruce Daily
Today On The Spruce
The Not-So-Chilling Tale of My Broken-Fridge Cleanout
The Not-So-Chilling Tale of My Broken-Fridge Cleanout
READ MORE
Taysha Murtaugh,
Editorial Director
On a dark, eerie morning just one moon ago, I rose from my bed feeling unsettled. Something was wrong. With bated breath, I crept into my kitchen, pausing in front of the refrigerator, and, hands trembling, peeled open the door. The only chills that greeted me were the ones that ran down my spine as I realized, with horror: My fridge was dead, leaving all of my food at risk.
 
Okay, so maybe it didn't play out quite so dramatically, but anyone who has experienced a broken fridge or a loss of power understands the doom I describe. Thankfully, my fridge thermometer gave me a good indication of how long it had been out, and I was able to salvage most of the perishables, stashing them into coolers, where they stayed safe and cold. Then, with the resourcefulness of every horror film's "final girl," I sprang into action to use up my ingredients.
 
I whipped up homemade waffles and eggs for breakfast, and for dinner, I threw together a take on chicken parmesan with veggies. Berry cobbler for dessert helped me use up several bags of frozen fruit. Then it was yogurt bowls, mushroom-chive omelette, and lemony olive oil cake in quick succession. The desserts sat out on the counter, making room for the rest of the leftovers until the new fridge arrived. My horror story had a happy, delicious ending, and I have to admit, I had a lot of fun cooking so strategically.
Today On The Spruce
What to Make This Week
Chicken Parmesan Recipe
A 20-Minute Chicken Parmesan Recipe
A classic, cheesy chicken dish that hits all the right notes for me.
Get the Recipe
Buckwheat Waffles with Strawberry Compote
Crispy waffle squares get kicked up a notch with a Greek yogurt glaze.
Get the Recipe
Denver Omelet
How to Make a Denver Omelet
Piled high with ham, onion, bell pepper, and cheese, it's a meal all on its own.
Get the Recipe
The Easiest Fruit Cobbler Ever
Use whatever fruit you have on hand for this super tasty fruit cobbler.
Get the Recipe
Today On The Spruce
The Spruce Eats on YouTube
Whats in Rainbow Plant Lifes Vegan-Friendly Fridge?!
What's in Rainbow Plant Life's Vegan-Friendly Fridge?!
Watch & Learn
Spruce Eats Banner
More From the Spruce Eats
The 7 Best Fridge Thermometers in 2021
These Coolers Are Worth Every Penny
Maximize Your Fridge Space with These Organization Tools
Today On The Spruce

Did somebody forward you this email? Sign Up for The Spruce Eats Newsletter!

Have feedback? Send us an email at contact@thespruceeats.com, subject line: Newsletter Feedback.
The Spruce
Follow us:  
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to The Spruce Eats newsletter. Unsubscribe
© 2021 Dotdash.com — All rights reserved. Privacy Policy.
A DOTDASH BRAND 28 Liberty Street, 7th Floor, New York, NY, 10005

No comments:

Post a Comment