Monday, March 28, 2022

Food Images That Will Make You Swoon

Come take a bite with food photographer Cara Cormack.
 ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ 
The Spruce Daily
Take a Bite With Food Photographer Cara Cormack
Take a Bite With Food Photographer Cara Cormack
Welcome to our brand new newsletter series, "Take a Bite With." We're excited to take you behind the scenes of The Spruce Eats and showcase the incredibly talented people who contribute to our site. From recipe developers to food photographers and recipe testers, our aim is to highlight the individuals who make the site what it is, and give you a sneak peek into their work.
 
Our first guest is the wildly talented Cara Cormack, who is a food photographer and stylist. . As a fellow photographer, I'm always looking to up my game, and she inspires me to do just that. Her images are vibrant, tack-sharp, and always tell a fun story. I am obsessed with them!
 
How did you get started in your profession as a food photographer? Did you always know that you wanted to work in a food-related space?
At university, I chose to specialize in Photography and Design. All of my projects revolved around food because I've always been a big foodie. Following my graduation, I set up a small business selling cakes around cafes in the city of Leeds and at markets around England. I had to photograph the cakes to promote myself and that's how I started getting into food photography. I ended up becoming more passionate about that than baking the cakes! Following that, the rest was a steady path of assisting photographers and working in kitchens while doing my photography on the side, until I was able to take it on full-time. For me, food photography felt very natural as my biggest passions are food and art; the combination of the two coming together perfectly in food photography.
 
What have you recently worked on that you are especially proud of and why?
I recently shot a cookbook with a publishing company that I've always wanted to work with based in London. I really admire the author and her take on food. It'll be out this year!
 
Where do you look for inspiration?
My inspiration extends past other photographers, although many photographers inspire me too, such as Louise Hagger, Martin Parr, and Jenny Huang. I draw a lot of inspiration from color combinations I see in art and nature, as well as in artists' books. Also, when shooting a recipe, it's always very inspiring to research the cuisine itself and see how it's traditionally served and the atmosphere of the dish.
 
What is the best artistic advice you've received?
Look further than other people in the same industry as you. If you're a food photographer, don't just look at other food photographers' work, look at all kinds of photography, art, books, etc. It'll give your work a unique feel and stop it from looking the same as everyone else's.
 
If you could have lunch/dinner/drinks with one person in the food industry, who would they be and what would you eat?
Bit of an obvious answer, but I would probably choose Nigella Lawson. I could listen to her voice all day and I think she would be a fascinating person to talk to. I would happily eat anything she wanted to cook for me!
 
Fast Facts: Favorite combination of two foods:
Hmm, probably cream cheese and dill. I'm completely obsessed with dill on most things.
 
Want to support Cara's work? Explore her food photography and food styling here. Check out her Instagram (and 12 of our other favorite women to follow). You can see Cara's beautiful images across our site for recipes like rosemary focaccia, braised chicken, instant pot black bean soup, and so much more.
 
Victoria Heydt
Editorial Project Manager, The Spruce Eats
READ MORE
Today On The Spruce
Shot by Cara
The Ultimate Set-in-and-Forget-It Chicken Dish
The Ultimate Set-in-and-Forget-It Chicken Dish
Greek Macaroni and Cheese Baked Pasta
Prosciutto-Wrapped Stuffed Meatloaf
Prosciutto-Wrapped Stuffed Meatloaf
20-Minute Thai Fish Curry
Today On The Spruce
The Spruce Eats on YouTube
Whats in Evelyn From The Internets Fridge?!
What's in Evelyn From The Internets' Fridge?!
Watch & Learn
Spruce Eats Banner
Today On The Spruce

Did somebody forward you this email? Sign Up for The Spruce Eats Newsletter!

Have feedback? Send us an email at contact@thespruceeats.com, subject line: Newsletter Feedback.
The Spruce
Follow us:  
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to The Spruce Eats newsletter. Unsubscribe
© 2022 Dotdash.com — All rights reserved. Privacy Policy.
A DOTDASH BRAND 28 Liberty Street, 7th Floor, New York, NY, 10005

No comments:

Post a Comment