Saturday, January 29, 2022

You Deserve a Very Big Bowl of These Noodles

Just you, some perfectly greasy noodles, and a cold can of soda.
 ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ 
The Spruce Daily
To All the Oyster Pail Love Stories
An Oyster Pail Love Story
Mariana Gonzalez,
Email Editor
When I was a teen, my mother's Friday bus route dropped her off right in front of our local Chinese restaurant. Back then, King Express shared plaza space with a 711, a laundromat, and a movie rental spot—telltale signs of good Chinese food in Los Angeles if you ask me.
 
If I wasn't in trouble for whatever reason (I gave my mother a lot of those), she'd come home with a cold can of Coca Cola and a large oyster pail with the most perfectly crispy, greasy chow mein curled up inside. We'd eat and watch tv together for a couple of hours before my father and brothers got home. Eventually, habit became ritual and the combination became synonymous with pure indulgence, unwinding, calm in my mind.
 
I've had a whole lot of different noodles since and never met one I didn't like. Right now, these Szechuan dan dan noodles (extra spicy) are making weekly appearances in my kitchen. I've also been really into making sauces like hot chili oil, sweet chili sauce, and this salsa macha to pour on top. The spicier the better. Always.
 
I still like my noodles best a little greasy, with a cold can of soda, and on days when I'm in need of pure indulgence, unwinding, calm.
READ MORE
Today On The Spruce
Give Me All the Noods
Szechuan Dan Dan Noodles
Szechuan Dan Dan Noodles
Japanese Ketchup Pasta
Bangkok-Style Drunken Noodles
Bangkok-Style Drunken Noodles
Chicken Pad See Ew
Today On The Spruce
The Spruce Eats on YouTube
4 Healthy Noodle Recipes
4 Healthy Noodle Recipes You Need to Try
Watch & Learn
Spruce Eats Banner
Today On The Spruce

Did somebody forward you this email? Sign Up for The Spruce Eats Newsletter!

Have feedback? Send us an email at contact@thespruceeats.com, subject line: Newsletter Feedback.
The Spruce
Follow us:  
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to The Spruce Eats newsletter. Unsubscribe
© 2022 Dotdash.com — All rights reserved. Privacy Policy.
A DOTDASH BRAND 28 Liberty Street, 7th Floor, New York, NY, 10005

No comments:

Post a Comment