Saturday, January 22, 2022

The Alternative Flour Desserts I Love Most

There's so much more to alternative flours than you may think.
 ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ 
The Spruce Daily
Alternative Flours
Let's Talk About Alternative Flours
Lauryn Bodden,
Food Editor
Hi there! My name is Lauryn, and I'm a food editor at The Spruce Eats. I want to introduce myself because I'll be writing to you a few times a month, and I'm really (really) excited about it. Though my career started out on the savory side of the restaurant industry, one way or another, I always found my way back to pastry. I'm the kind of person who geeks out over the science of ingredient interactions and lives for the simple pleasure of biting into a warm confection straight out of the oven. And it's not all about the rich, indulgent desserts for me. I love making breads, hors d'oeuvres, souffles, and pretty much any other pastry you can think of.
 
I say all that to say that I am deeply fascinated by the world of baking.
 
Today, I want to dive into the topic of alternative flours. I have exactly 14 varieties in my kitchen right now. I never really meant to dedicate this much of my cabinet space to flour, but here we are. These days, many people associate alternative flours with low-carb, gluten-free, keto, and paleo diets. And they really are great for those specific diets and lifestyles. But there's so much more to alternative flours. They offer a wide variety of tastes, textures, and protein contents. Almond (or hazelnut) flour is crucial to macarons, for example.
 
Here are some of my favorite things to make with alternative flours:
These sugar cookie bars use bread flour, which lends the most wonderful, chewy texture.
I love using almond flour to make marzipan for some wow factor decorations.
Cake flour makes for delicate, airy pastry which is great for things like sugar cookies or biscuits.
Chickpea flour is truly one of the best gluten-free flours and makes for the most amazing flatbreads.
I use self-rising flour for everything from mug cakes to fluffy pancakes and pizza.
I would love (yes, I mean it!) to hear about the flours you like to work with and how you incorporate them into your baking regime.
 
XOXO,
The Lazy Efficient Baker
READ MORE
Today On The Spruce
 
Sugar Cookie Bars
Ligurian Chickpea Pancake
Southern Sour Cream Biscuits
Southern Sour Cream Biscuits
The Easiest 3-Ingredient Marzipan
The Easiest 3-Ingredient Marzipan
Today On The Spruce
Spruce Eats Banner
Today On The Spruce
Did somebody forward you this email? Sign Up for Baking with The Spruce Eats Newsletter!
Have feedback? Send us an email at contact@thespruceeats.com, subject line: Newsletter Feedback.
The Spruce
Follow us:  
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to Baking with The Spruce Eats newsletter. Unsubscribe
© 2022 Dotdash.com — All rights reserved. Privacy Policy.
A DOTDASH BRAND 28 Liberty Street, 7th Floor, New York, NY 10005

No comments:

Post a Comment