Wednesday, August 25, 2021

I Found the Perfect Boots for Any National Park Trip

"When I left my hiking boots in Puerto Rico, I saw this as an occasion to get a new pair that would prevent slippage, keep my ankles from turning, and in general help me to stay vertical on the trails."
TRAVEL TODAY



Trails & Climbs
I Found the Perfect Boots for Any National Park Trip
Everyone who knows me knows that I am extremely clumsy. I have tripped up (and down) the stairs more times than I'd care to admit, I more than occasionally stub my toe on the coffee table, and I tend to stumble on even the slightest crack in the sidewalk.

At the same time, I love to hike. Picture me as a baby mountain goat taking her first wobbly steps over tree roots and slabs of stone. Do I use bad form and look silly? Yes. But at least I'm minimizing the chances of me going over the side of the mountain.

When I needed new hiking boots, I saw this as an occasion to get a pair that would prevent slippage, keep my ankles from turning, and in general help me to stay vertical on the trails. I went with a pair of Salomon X Ultra 3 Mid GTX Hiking Boots, and believe me when I say that they changed my whole experience with hiking.

Last fall, I took to the Precipice Trail in Acadia National Park. The 2.1-mile loop trail—which climbs 1,053 feet and involves scrambling over boulders and grabbing onto iron rungs and ladders to navigate steep cliff faces—is not only one of the park's most challenging hikes, it was a true test of my boots' capabilities.

And they passed with flying colors. While I didn't exactly turn into a full grown mountain goat, the boots kept me upright and stable, and the tread gripped onto each rock's nook and cranny with ease. Plus they are nicely cushioned, so much so that I was able to walk away from Acadia blister-free. And to help you make your next trek smoother, too, I've rounded up my favorite hiking gear, from backpack coolers to wool socks.


READ NOW



Elizabeth Preske
Associate Editor


Trails & Climbs
10 Pairs of Men's Hiking Boots That Will Support Your Feet in the Roughest Terrain
read more
Trails & Climbs
10 Must-Have Hiking Gear Items, From Day Packs to First-Aid Kits
read more
Gear
Fend Off Blisters and Protect Your Feet From the Elements With These Hiking Socks
read more
Style
Lightweight, Waterproof, and Breathable: The Best Hiking Pants for Your Next Adventure
read more
Trails & Climbs
8 Pairs of Women's Hiking Boots for Every Type of Trail
read more
Trails & Climbs
These Hiking Hats Are Lightweight, Dry Easily, and Provide Top Sun Protection
read more
Style
9 Hiking Shirts That Are Just as Stylish as They Are Functional
read more
Gear
8 Travel Water Bottles to Help You Stay Hydrated on the Trails
read more
VACATION LIKE A PRO
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to the Travel Today newsletter.
If you wish to unsubscribe, please click here
A DOTDASH BRAND
© 2021 Dotdash.com - All rights reserved. Privacy Policy.

If you believe this has been sent to you in error, please safely unsubscribe.

No comments:

Post a Comment