Saturday, August 21, 2021

How to Preserve Your Ripe, Juicy Summer Tomatoes

Have I mentioned how beautiful zucchini blossoms are on pizza?
 ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ 
The Spruce Daily
Today On The Spruce
How to Preserve Your Ripe, Juicy Summer Tomatoes
How to Preserve Your Ripe, Juicy Summer Tomatoes
READ MORE
Adriana Velez
"This is just to say / I have eaten / the plums / that were in / the icebox …"
 
Maybe you're familiar with the William Carlos Williams poem. I always think of it when I buy plums because I cannot relate to it at all. Give me a baked, stewed, or jammy plum over raw any time.
 
I've got plans for the pint of plums sitting on my counter right now. I happen to have a ton of ginger root, so maybe plum and ginger jam is my…jam. Except I've got my sights on this Polish plum cake. It's made with cloves, which I like very much. But I'm thinking maybe I'll swap that out for fresh, minced rosemary for a summery taste.
 
I can't stop making pizza with all of these gorgeous summer tomatoes. Sometimes I'll make the dough from scratch, and other times I'll buy a plain crust from the pizzeria down the street. I skip the sauce and layer the tomatoes, maybe dotted with blobs of ricotta or mozzarella, drizzle with olive oil, and add a few leaves from my basil plant. Have I mentioned how beautiful zucchini blossoms are on pizza?
 
What's more on my mind than anything else right now is the crisis half a world away in Afghanistan. It's easy to feel disconnected, but drawn in, to feel compelled to do something, and yet feel so powerless. But there are small ways we can help, and if a lot of us do it will make a difference. I'm sharing a few links to donate to organizations doing good work to relieve the suffering.
 
The World Food Program is providing life-saving meals to people in Afghanistan.
 
Women for Afghan Women is a grassroots organization that had to evacuate its centers and pause operations. They're now focused on providing safe shelter, resources, and aid to the women, staff, and families under their care.
 
If you are in the Seattle, Washington, D.C., Houston, or Fort Worth areas you can volunteer with Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service to support arriving Afghan allies with meal assistance, airport pickup, and more.
 
Closer to home, Haitians are struggling to recover from a 7.2 magnitude earthquake followed by storms. Here are organizations who are helping with that crisis.
 
World Central Kitchen was already in Haiti, working to help support its long-term resilience; now they're responding to the emergency.
 
Help for Haiti is the largest non-governmental healthcare provider in Haiti.
 
Mission of Hope is providing medical care, family assistance, supplies, and community needs to those affected.
Today On The Spruce
What to Make This Week
Homemade Mediterranean Pizza
Homemade Mediterranean Pizza
All your favorite ingredients in one place, covered in cheesy goodness.
See More
How to Preserve
Tomatoes
Take your supremely ripe, juicy summer tomatoes into fall and winter.
See More
Fresh Plum Pie
Fresh Plum Pie
This two crust pie is simple enough even for beginner bakers.
See More
Polish Plum Cake
It's the perfect, not-too-sweet after-dinner dessert or mid-morning treat.
See More
Today On The Spruce
The Spruce Eats on YouTube
Can an Air Fryer Reheat Leftover Pizza?
Can an Air Fryer Reheat Leftover Pizza?
Watch & Learn
Spruce Eats Banner
Today On The Spruce

Did somebody forward you this email? Sign Up for The Spruce Eats Newsletter!

Have feedback? Send us an email at contact@thespruceeats.com, subject line: Newsletter Feedback.
The Spruce
Follow us:  
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to The Spruce Eats newsletter. Unsubscribe
© 2021 Dotdash.com — All rights reserved. Privacy Policy.
A DOTDASH BRAND 28 Liberty Street, 7th Floor, New York, NY, 10005

No comments:

Post a Comment