Wednesday, June 29, 2022

I Just Tried Self-Tanner for the First Time

It did not go well. But it also didn't go terribly.
TRAVEL TODAY



REI's Anniversary Sale is the Official Summer Kick-Off We've Been Waiting For
Health & Beauty
I Just Tried Self-Tanner for the First Time
During one of my many Twitter binges, I came across a thread from Tiara Willis (aka @MakeupForWOC) that opened with a tweet saying, "Black girls. Pay attention to this tweet. Start using [self-tanner] this summer and thank me later." I was sold by the third line, but when Willis went on to say that self-tan is how celebs get that all-over glow, I had to try it.

The timing was perfect. I was in the mid-to-late planning stages for a trip to California and an even, subtle tan was precisely what I wanted to help my transition from winter paleness to summer brownness. I read the rest of the thread and placed my order for a bottle of Bondi Sands Liquid Glow (because Willis recommended it)—and then immediately forgot all the tips and tricks she included in the thread.

By the time I got the self-tanner in my hands, I was so nervous that I just sprayed it on a mitt and prayed for the best. It did not go well. But it also didn't go terribly.

The color was so natural looking that I wasn't sure if it worked … until I started to see the spots I missed. And that one hand was a different color than the other. My second try was somehow worse, but I leaned into the unevenness since my natural skin tone is uneven anyway.

The hardest part—besides making sure I didn't miss any spots—was simply standing naked in a power pose waiting for the self-tanner to dry down enough to put clothes on again. Fifteen minutes isn't very long, until you're just counting the seconds and trying not to brush against anything.

In the end, no one noticed my very pale wrist or how there was a hard line of demarcation between my fingers. The glowy color was worth it. It made me look like I got a bit of sun, but without any of the splotchiness actual sun exposure gives me. Despite my struggles, I'll definitely be reaching for self-tanner more often. And I'm sure after a few more tries, it won't look like I have on tanner at all.


READ NOW



Astrid Taran Sherri Gardner
Associate Editor


Our editors independently research, test, and recommend the best products and services; you can learn more about our review process here. We may receive commissions on purchases made from our chosen links.

A Women's Rock Climbing Camp Was One of My Most Empowering Travel Experiences
Health & Beauty
10 Tanning Oils That Will Give You a Natural-Looking Glow
read more
10 Climbing Harnesses for Every Terrain, From the Gym to the Crag
Health & Beauty
Soothe and Care for Irritated Skin With These Top-Recommended Aloe Vera Gels
read more
14 Hiking Shirts That Are Lightweight, Wick Moisture, and Offer Top Sun Protection
Tech & Gear
Quick-Drying, Durable, and Absorbable: 10 Beach Towels We Love
read more
15 Spectacular Places to Go Rock Climbing in the US
Health & Beauty
10 Travel Toiletries to Stash in Your Bag, From Hydrating Masks to Spray Sunscreen
read more
The 7 Best Chalk Bags of 2022
Health & Beauty
The Absolute Best Sunscreens of 2022, According to Dermatologists
read more
You'll Never Want to Take Off These Ultra-Comfy Women's Travel Leggings
Beaches & Islands
10 Products Our Editors Will Be Packing in Their Beach Bags This Summer
read more
Fuel Up in the Outdoors With These Easy-to-Pack Snacks
Tech & Gear
These Beach Bags Are Secure, Lightweight, and Polished Enough to Be Versatile
read more
Leak-Proof, Durable, and Lightweight: 8 Water Bottles for Your Next Adventure
Accessories
9 Beach Hats for All Types of Travelers and Beach Bums
read more
VACATION LIKE A PRO
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to the Travel Today newsletter.
If you wish to unsubscribe, please click here
A DOTDASH BRAND
© 2021 Dotdash.com - All rights reserved. Privacy Policy.

If you believe this has been sent to you in error, please safely unsubscribe.

No comments:

Post a Comment