Saturday, December 18, 2021

These Are the Cookies I’m Making for Christmas

Did you hear it's cookie season?
 ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ 
The Spruce Daily
Today On The Spruce
Welcome to the Cookiedome
Welcome to the Cookiedome
READ MORE
Lauryn Bodden,
Associate Editor
Not sure if you heard, but it's fa-la-la-la cookie season! It's very evident if you scroll through social media, switch on the TV, or ask anyone what they're doing this month. Now before you say you're not a cookie person, let's break this down.
 
When I say there's a cookie for everyone, I mean there's a cookie for everyone. Soft, chewy, spicy, crispy, chocolatey, minty, jammy, and more. One of the most special things about this time of year is seeing the cookies that bring others joy, whether it's the act of baking or consuming. For me, it's a time filled with kitchen memories, whipping up at least 15 decadent varieties with my mom and grandma to send to all our loved ones. And yes, I do have a favorite. Similar to this thumbprint with nuts, my mom's pecan thumbprint cookie filled with an almond-spiked buttercream holds a special place in my heart.
 
For the past few weeks, I've put a lot of love and labor into creating a 5-week cookie course, which you can sign up for here. Each week, we'll dive into a different step of the cookie-baking process and make some seriously delicious cookies along the way.
 
Then earlier this month, I shared my love of tender cutouts and buttery piped confections in our latest It's Elementary episode on all things sugar cookies. The key to creating your perfect cookie bakes down to knowing how every ingredient reacts together. Tapping into my sugar geek, I dish on everything from what exactly creaming your butter means, the wide world of fats, how manipulating ingredient ratios affects your final bake, and more.
 
When it came to developing my Italian butter cookies, I was transported back to my time on the line as a pastry cook at Leonelli in Manhattan. Piping this soft, airy dough was a soothing escape from other projects. Whereas, the sheet pan cookie bars felt like my anytime dessert dream—no chilling, rolling, shaping, or special equipment required. Speaking of equipment, there's a number of tools I can't live without, like my adjustable rolling pin, which you'll find in this round-up.
 
Even more, I can't resist a cookie exchange. I recently hosted an intimate gathering of friends, which made this odd year feel like a bite of old times. Our no-bake almond joy cookies even made an appearance. Although I was pressured into accepting a streusel as an entry, it was a delight to see all levels of enthusiasts get involved.
 
But, this is a no judgement zone. You don't have to bake to get in on the action. Some of my favorite options that ship around the country include Shortbread Society, Salamat Cookies (peep that Gooey Bukubae), and Bang Cookies. Regardless of how you participate, don't miss out on the sweetness this season brings. And, don't forget to pair it with the right beverage.
Today On The Spruce
What to Make This Week
Nutty Thumbprint Cookies
Nutty Thumbprint Cookies
Get the Recipe
Classic Sugar Cookies
Get the Recipe
Sheet Pan Sugar Cookie Bars
Sheet Pan Sugar Cookie Bars
Get the Recipe
Italian Butter Cookies
Get the Recipe
Today On The Spruce
The Spruce Eats Presents It's Elementary
What Makes a Sugar Cookie, a Sugar Cookie?
What Makes a Sugar Cookie, a Sugar Cookie?
Watch & Learn
Spruce Eats Banner
Today On The Spruce

Did somebody forward you this email? Sign Up for The Spruce Eats Newsletter!

Have feedback? Send us an email at contact@thespruceeats.com, subject line: Newsletter Feedback.
The Spruce
Follow us:  
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to The Spruce Eats newsletter. Unsubscribe
© 2021 Dotdash.com — All rights reserved. Privacy Policy.
A DOTDASH BRAND 28 Liberty Street, 7th Floor, New York, NY, 10005

No comments:

Post a Comment