Saturday, November 27, 2021

The Best Ever Pigs in a Blanket and Other Friendsgiving Dishes I’m Making Again and Again

I still have Friendsgiving food on my mind.
 ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ 
The Spruce Daily
Today On The Spruce
Pigs in a Blanket and Other Friendsgiving Dishes
Pigs in a Blanket and Other Friendsgiving Dishes I Can't Stop Thinking About
READ MORE
Taylor Rock,
Associate Commerce Editor
Prior to spending Thanksgiving with family, it's customary for many to share a meal with friends. Aptly dubbed Friendsgiving, this feast often features the same or similar dishes as actual Turkey Day (stuffing, cranberry sauce, corn, and the big bird to name a handful), but that is absolutely not the route my friends took this year. Our table included a smattering of pigs in a blanket, bruschetta, bacon-wrapped water chestnuts, maple-roasted Brussels sprouts with sweet potatoes, and a seemingly infinite amount of deviled eggs with smoked paprika. I went with classics: green bean casserole (my all-time favorite) and garlic mashed potatoes with an obscene amount of butter (necessary).
 
I always look forward to this holiday in particular because I don't have a single relative within a five-hour radius, and it's nice to spend quality time in my hometown with loved ones. Besides, let's be honest: The food is some of the best any of us will have all year. I actually dream of mashed potatoes and green bean casserole daily, so why limit them to just one day (two if you have them on Christmas or another winter holiday)?
 
I thought making mashed potatoes would be a semi-heavy lift because I don't own a hand mixer or masher and wanted to make a plant-based version. I was skeptical of them coming out with the right consistency and flavor. To my surprise, they were amazing. The ingredients list was attractively short (Yukon gold potatoes, salt, pepper, garlic, vegan butter, and chives to garnish), and it took almost no time at all. I actually made them on my lunch break, and contrary to the recipe, I kept the skin on because that, in my humble and not-professional-whatsoever opinion, is superior. Plus, they were easily mashed with a fork in a plastic mixing bowl. The vegan green bean casserole was equally as effortless and delicious. Yes, Thanksgiving is technically over, but if something makes you happy, you should grab onto moments of joy whenever you can, even if it's in the form of a pretty-much-exclusively Thanksgiving dish.
Today On The Spruce
What to Make This Week
How to Make Amazing Bruschetta
How to Make Amazing Bruschetta
The secret is in the quality of the ingredients.
Get the Recipe
Your New Go-To Brussels Sprouts Recipe
The best of fall flavors in a simple one-pan dish.
Get the Recipe
Classic Deviled Eggs
Classic Deviled Eggs
Deviled eggs don't get much easier than this.
Get the Recipe
Green Bean Casserole
A Thanksgiving dish I like making year-round.
Get the Recipe
Today On The Spruce
The Spruce Eats on YouTube
Whats in Rainbow Plant Lifes Vegan-Friendly Fridge?!
What's in Rainbow Plant Life's Vegan-Friendly Fridge?!
Watch & Learn
Spruce Eats Banner
Today On The Spruce

Did somebody forward you this email? Sign Up for The Spruce Eats Newsletter!

Have feedback? Send us an email at contact@thespruceeats.com, subject line: Newsletter Feedback.
The Spruce
Follow us:  
You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to The Spruce Eats newsletter. Unsubscribe
© 2021 Dotdash.com — All rights reserved. Privacy Policy.
A DOTDASH BRAND 28 Liberty Street, 7th Floor, New York, NY, 10005

No comments:

Post a Comment